A new apartment and new dislike of IKEA called for new furniture. However I wasn’t granted a new budget, so it was time to DIY a dresser with the help of a friend.
After some clicking around other blogs I fell in love with penny projects. However other people were doing a crazy amount of work and even had a blow torch. Hard work and fire were not about to happen, so meet my Penny top DIY dresser with no hard work or flames required.
Step one: Buy/Find furniture
I bought a plain, yet solid wood dresser on craigslist for 30 bucks
Step two: Get pennies and get to gluing
Here you have crucial decisions: Do you want to glue each penny? Do you want to glue pennies in a frame and just throw in the rest? Do you want to mix bright and faded pennies? Do you want to drive yourself crazy and glue your fingers together?
Why so many questions? Look and see:
I started by making a row and column of pennies to determine how many I would need.
Now here is where I made a crucial mistake. I decided to glue every penny! CRAZINESS! It would have been smart to glue pennies along the edges, forming a frame, and insert the remaining pennies into the frame and then gloss. However, in the absences of good sense, I got to gluing my 940 pennies.
I wanted a color blend so I soaked some pennies in CLR, others got a soap and vinegar bath, others got spite and glued haphazardly.
It took me 4 bottles of super glue and three days to glue the pennies. If you decide to glue individually rather than gluing the fame and arranging, stay away from gorilla glue. Gorilla glue expands and will begin to inhabit the space between pennies.
After the pennies were glued on the dresser top it was time to do some improvements on the body of the dresser.
Step Three: Update other parts of furniture
I picked up a quart of matte Power Gray from the Home Depot and the dusty lilac gray and I got to work. My lovely assistant, Rachel, and I painted the dresser drawers and body of the dresser leaving the front face the original white.
Step Four: Glaze the Pennies!
We let the two coats of paint dry. Once the paint was dry it was officially time to glaze our pennies.
To protect the new paint I wrapped the upper portion of the dresser in dollar store cling wrap. The knock off saran wrap worked great!
We mixed up the super gloss and got to pouring.
The gloss didn’t smell, and filled every crack with a little spreading help. There were bubbles from air trapped in the gloss mixture, but we popped them with our fingers or by blowing on them. I didn’t have a plastic squeegee so I used the edge of a dollar store dust pan to spread the mixture. You will have about 10-15 to work with the mixture.
I left the dresser near an open window for about 7 hours and the end result was super shiny, super hard and super fun:
- * I only used half a quart of paint. The other half of the paint will be used in a future DIY project
- **I only used half the glaze and then had enough to varnish some items for my lovely assistant!
This was a wonderful friend activity!